Saturday, April 3, 2010

Rice-a-Roni, the San Francisco treat...DING!

As most of you know, Tim & I finally took our dream vacation to San Francisco and wine country last week. I was so excited the night before we left, I could hardly sleep; it was like the first day of school!!

We arrived Friday morning, on the first flight in from Atlanta, checked into our hotel and immediately started sight seeing. Our hotel was a few blocks from Union Square, so we started there, then walked to Chinatown and had lunch. Tim LOVES Chinese food (I mean, really, really LOVES it), so we had some authentic Chinese food; I prayed the whole time that we wouldn't get food poisoning. After lunch, we walked through "Little Italy" to Coit Tower, then to Fisherman's Wharf, Ghirardelli Square, Lombard Street, and finally to Nob Hill. From Nob Hill we finally gave in on the ridiculous 75 degree hills and took a Cable Car (over-rated!) back to our hotel.

On Saturday we took the 10AM ferry to Alcatraz, which I highly recommend to anyone planning a trip to San Fran (go EARLY and make a reservation!). After we did the self-guided tour of the island, we hopped another ferry to Sausalito. We had lunch at a quaint little restaurant overlooking the SF Bay. From there (yes, we are still going and going!), we took a cab to Vista Point, which overlooked the Golden Gate Bridge, which we walked across back to San Fran. We decided to try all walks of life in terms of SF mass transit and took the bus back to Union Square (that was an adventure!). Between the bus stop and our hotel, a bum managed to pass out (literally) on Tim. He was so drunk that he fell down, on his way to the concrete, he hit Tim on the way down. It was very funny, and sad. There are a lot of homeless people in San Fran!!

On Sunday we finally rented a car, checked out of our awesome Hilton-with-free-Starbucks-Hotel, and headed north to Wine Country (see other post). On the way, we did a quick Griswold tour of Muir Woods National Park. I wish we would have had more time to appreciate the grand Redwood trees, my pictures do NOT do it justice.

ENJOY!!

Tim and I at the Golden Gate Bridge (Vista Point)



We love to do self portraits;)

Cable Car
Lombard Street - Crookedest Street
On the Ferry to Alcatraz

A cell at Alcatraz

The Cell Block building at Alcatraz

Alcatraz Island

Sausalito

Tim & I at Fisherman's Wharf

This sign made me laugh :)

Trying to capture the hilly streets of SF

Coit Tower

San Fran, the Bay, & the Golden Gate from the Coit Tower hill

Tim & I at Muir Woods in front of a Redwood

Look at the size of that TRUNK!!

No comments: